The job of a bank probationary officer (PO) is considered as a lucrative career option and a white collar job. Every year lacs of aspirants contest for PO exams. The job offers a high career growth and prospects for a bright future in banking. Many candidates want to know about the responsibilities of a bank PO, what kind of job they do once they are recruited in banks.
You should know that a bank probationary officer post is the entry level position at which a bank officer starts work after posting. Typically, a bank PO undergoes a 2 year probation period or training and then gets the post of Assistant Manager on joining a branch. Normal prospect of this job is general banking and bank administration; however, bank POs are expected to possess excellent communication skills and the ability to resolve conflicts in a cool and calm manner.
Responsibilities of a bank P.O.
- Before the completion of the probation period, which is for 2 years, he/she can be asked to perform any kind of bank related activity; it can be the clerk or assistant type of job. This is done to get them acquainted with various working procedures of the bank.
- During the probation period they are trained for having the practical knowledge in finance, accounting, marketing, billing as well as investment. This is done by entrusting them with jobs of various categories, viz. any of the routine works such as scrolling, posting, account preparation etc.
- After successful completion of the probation period, he/she is posted in any bank branch as an Assistant Bank Manager to handle works on daily customer transactions, viz. passing a cheque, draft issuance, cash management etc.
- He/She has to work towards increasing the bank business viz. managing cash flow, loans and mortgages and finances.
- Another responsibility of PO is to work as public relations officer, handle customer complaints and address various customer related issues such as discrepancies in accounts, rectification of undue charges and look into complaints regarding services provided by the bank.
- Once he/she gets acclimatized to the bank environment and gain enough experience on bank's working procedures, based on their personal skills and aptitude, they can be assigned more responsible work viz. planning, budgeting, marketing, loan processing and approval, investment management etc.
- The work of a bank PO also includes managerial tasks, such as supervision of clerical work, taking decisions for the benefit of the bank, managing cash balance etc.
- PO has to verify all the work done by bank clerk. All the transactions of bank involve the role of makerand checker. For example, in cash transactions, if clerk is the maker, then the PO is the checker; in case of loans, generally he/she is the maker and bank manager is the checker. The responsibility of losses resides with the checker.